Tools to Prepare You for a Successful Interviewing Season
In addition to the 2016 Fall OCI Guidelines and 2016 Fall OCI List of Participating Employers (Excel), below are key resources, many exclusively for Texas Law students, to help you research employers for ranking your OCI bids as well as prepare for your interviews.
- Rick Cella, ’11, an associate with Akin Gump’s Litigation Group in Dallas, offers his advice on what interviewers are looking for in cover letters, resumes, and writing samples; as well as how to show your commitment to a particular city even if you do not have direct ties. Take a moment to learn the tips for successful application materials (8:13 minutes). New!
- Pillsbury lawyers who interview on campus share their interview do’s and don’ts (2:37 minutes) for a successful screening interviews. New!
- Interviewing and Etiquette Tips – Morgan Matson, ’99, President of Preferred Counsel Legal Placement Services in San Antonio, shares his tips on what employers are looking for in an ideal candidate, common interview questions and mistakes you should avoid, dinner and reception etiquette, as well as professional correspondence and social media.
- Mock Screening Interviews – Attorneys with Baker Botts, Norton Rose Fulbright, Skadden, and Vinson & Elkins, demonstrate the type of questions you may encounter in a 20-minute screening interview.
- Career Services and Resources on Canvas – includes the Applying & Interviewing Handbook, featuring sample resumes and cover letters, as well as interviewing tips.
- NALP Directory of Legal Employers – includes lawyer demographics, practice areas, compensation and benefits, diversity and inclusion practices, and other valuable information about legal employers. You may also download contact information for mail merges.
- Bloomberg Law OCI Research Guide – this guide includes all of the law firms and corporations participating in Fall OCI and includes representation analytics, company profiles (people profiles and news), client newsletters, patent filings, and more.
- LexisNexis Search of Law Firms – instructions on how to search Martindale-Hubbell, news stories, federal and state case law, law reviews and journals.
- Chambers Associate – search by practice area, summer hiring numbers, work/life and benefits, salaries and hours, and more. Also features “Five Minutes with…” quick interviews with various attorneys.
- Vault Career Library – search rankings and reviews of law firms based on the surveys of thousands of law firm associates including top law firms, best in region, best in practice area, quality of life, diversity, and more.
- Law Firm Pronunciation Guide – Before an interview, review how a firm’s name is pronounced.
- Additional resources available on the CSO Resources
Resume and Cover Letter Review
If you would like to schedule an appointment to meet with a CSO career counselor in person or by phone to discuss your application materials or bidding strategy for Fall OCI or summer off-campus interview programs, please contact us at 512-232-1150 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also request resume and cover letter reviews by directly contacting your career counselor.
In order to guarantee your documents will be reviewed before the end of the Fall OCI bidding period, please submit materials no later than 8 a.m. on Friday, July 1, 2016 (note that the CSO will be closed on Monday, July 4).