Postgraduate public interest fellowships are great opportunities for soon-to-be recent graduates to secure entry-level positions with nonprofit organizations that otherwise might not have the resources to hire them full time. The training, experience and exposure that fellowships provide are a great boost to the career of a new public interest attorney. As a result, the application and selection process is very competitive and earning a postgraduate fellowship is seen as a distinct honor. In the public interest realm, fellowships typically fall into two main categories:
- Organization-based Postgraduate Fellowships are typically administered and funded by the organization the fellow will be working for; and
- Project-based Postgraduate Fellowships are funded by a third-party sponsor (such as Equal Justice Works) and allow fellows to perform project-specific work with a host organization.
Postgraduate Fellowship Preparation Program
To support Texas Law students and graduates in pursuing prestigious public interest postgraduate fellowships, we have developed the Texas Law Postgraduate Fellowship Preparation Program. The Program is designed to encourage student participation and success in the competitive project-based postgraduate fellowship application process for the following fellowships:
As part of the Preparation Program, we offer:
- sponsors list and successful sample applications from Texas Law alumni of the above fellowships for review;
- individualized application counseling;
- a series of panels and information sessions about project-based postgraduate fellowships;
- fellowship mock interviews; and
- access to the Texas Law Fellowship Mentor Directory (EID) that includes contact information for alumni fellows.
If you are interested in having your fellowship applications and supporting materials reviewed for any postgraduate fellowship, please submit your materials to Lawson Konvalinka at email@example.com by the date listed for each fellowship listed above.
Additional fellowship resources available:
- The Comprehensive Fellowship Guide: The Ultimate Resource for Law Students & Lawyers available in the CSO Resource Library (TNH 3.130)
- Equal Justice Works Webinars: A listing of upcoming Equal Justice Works and public interest law webinars as well as conferences and training sessions.
- Postgraduate Public Interest Fellowships: Application Deadline Calendar published by PSJD.