2019 Women in Law Institute at Texas Law
Dr. Charlee Garden, LBJ School of Public Affairs
Karen Lockwood, The Lockwood Group
Prof. Paula Monopoli, UM Carey School of Law
Diane Darling, Founder and CEO, Effective Networking, Inc.
Otto Meyers III
- What is the Women in Law Institute? The Women in Law Institute is a full-day training for law students, LL.M.s, and judicial clerks. Participants can look forward to expert presentations on the essential skills for navigating a successful career in law: effective communication, self-promotion, and networking. Following each lecture, students work in small groups led by distinguished practitioners (3:1 ratio) to perfect these skills through practice and individualized critiques in a supportive environment.
- Who can sign up? The program is open to all law students, LL.M.s, and judicial clerks. You do not need to be a student at University of Texas School of Law to register.
- Can 1Ls participate? Yes, 1Ls may participate in the program, but in order to participate you must commit to attending the full-day program (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Who are faculty members? Faculty members are practitioners with 7 or more years of experience in the legal profession. Faculty members volunteer their time to co-lead one or more small group workshops at the Institute.
- How do I become a faculty member? Contact CWIL Deputy Director Amber Hackett Crosby.
What are past attendees saying about the program?
“It was an awesome and enlightening experience. I would encourage all young female lawyers to attend as it helped me focus and encouraged me to believe in myself and my capabilities.”
“The Institute was one of the most valuable experiences I’ve had in law school. I had no idea how valuable it would be and I didn’t know how tailored the feedback would be to my personal performance.”
“It was an incredibly valuable experience and I am already implementing some of the tools I learned.”
“The workshops were very helpful and it was encouraging and empowering to see so many practicing lawyers volunteering their time to mentor the younger generation in the industry.”
Thank you to our Sponsors for the 2019 Women in Law Institute