Hortense Ward Courageous Leader Award
The Center for Women in Law, through the Hortense Ward Courageous Leader Award, seeks to recognize on a biennial basis one outstanding lawyer who exemplifies Ward’s tenacity, courage, and commitment in her efforts to achieve gender parity in positions of leadership, influence, and responsibility in the legal profession as set out in the Austin Manifesto. The next recipient will be honored at the Center’s Award Luncheon on April 21, 2023.
2023 Awardee, The Honorable Bernice Bouie Donald
The Honorable Bernice Bouie Donald, U.S. Circuit Judge, Sixth Court of Appeals
Read full bio here.
Past Hortense Ward Courageous Leader Recipients
PATRICIA DIAZ DENNIS is a longstanding leader and groundbreaking role model.
Senior partner at Fine, Kaplan and Black.
Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary for the New York Public Library
Retired Senior Partner and Immediate Past Chair of Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
Each nominee must:
- Be a graduate of a law school
- Have demonstrated outstanding professional achievement
- Have a history of efforts to achieve gender parity in positions of leadership, influence, and responsibility in the legal profession, exhibited in one or more of the following ways:
- Being a public voice for women
- Taking specific, concrete steps to eliminate gender bias
- Creating opportunities that advance women lawyers
- Actively promoting minority women lawyers
- Commit to attend the award ceremony
Submit a nomination form in addition to a 2-page letter that outlines specific examples of the nominee’s credentials based on the criteria above. Supporting documents must include the nominee’s resume/curriculum vitae and at least three (but no more than five) recommendation letters from other individuals. At least one recommendation letter must come from a person who benefited directly from the nominee’s efforts. The nomination packet may also include articles that display the nominee’s credentials and additional personal anecdotes.
If a nomination package was submitted in a prior year for the nominee, please check the box on page 3 of the online form: “Nomination for previous nominee.” You may submit updated supporting documents, including additional letters of recommendation.
NOMINATIONS ARE NOT BEING ACCEPTED AT THIS TIME.