Antonio H. Benjamin
- Visiting Professor (Brazilian Supreme Court Justice)
- LLM University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- LLB Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Areas of Specialty
Antonio Benjamin has taught a course on Comparative Environmental Law and a seminar on Biodiversity Law at UT Law for the past ten years. As a senior Assistant Attorney General of the State of São Paulo in Brazil, Professor Benjamin is responsible for consumer and environmental litigation. Benjamin has lectured in a number of countries, including Belgium, Portugal, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Peru, Chile, Mexico, Canada, China, Malaysia, New Zealand, Spain and Egypt. He is the founder of the Brazilian Consumer Law and Policy Institute and the Law for a Green Planet Institute. He was a member of the legal expert committee which drafted the Brazilian Consumer Protection Code, the Competition Act and the Crimes against the Environment Act. At present, Professor Benjamin is the special advisor for judicial affairs to the president of the Brazilian Senate and the editor-in-chief of the Brazilian Environmental Law Journal.
- Consumer Overindebtedness in Brazil and the Need for New Consumer Bankruptcy Legislation, in Consumer Credit, Debt and Bankruptcy: Comparative and International Perspectives 55 (Johanna Niemi, Iain Ramsay & William C. Whitford eds.; Oxford: Hart Publishing, 2009) (with Cláudia Lima-Marques).
- Das Práticas Comerciais, in in Código Brasileiro de Defesa do Consumidor 251 (Rio de Janeiro: Forense Universitária, 2007).
- Meio Ambiente e Acesso ã Justiça: Environment and Access to Justice, Vol. 1-3 [Congresso Internacional de Direito Ambiental] (São Paulo: Imprensa Oficial do Estado de São Paulo, 2007) (editor, with Eladio Lecey & Silvia Cappelli).