Lynn A. Baker
- Frederick M. Baron Chair in Law;
- Co-Director - Center on Lawyers, Civil Justice and the Media
- JD Yale
- BA Oxford
- BA Yale
Areas of Specialty
One of the nation's leading scholars on issues of professional responsibility in group litigation, Professor Baker has also written frequently in recent years on attorneys' fees, mass tort settlements, and the congressional spending power. She is often called upon by lawyers and legislators to serve as an expert on issues of legal ethics, mass tort settlements and settlement fund allocations, attorneys' fees, and state and local government law.
Professor Baker is the author or co-author of dozens of articles and book chapters, which have appeared in the Columbia Law Review, Cornell Law Review, Duke Law Journal, Texas Law Review, and the Virginia Law Review, among many others. Her most recent publications include "Aggregate Settlements and Attorney Liability" (Hofstra Law Review, 2016); "Is the Price Right? An Empirical Study of Fee-Setting in Securities Class Actions" (Columbia Law Review, 2015) (with Michael A. Perino and Charles Silver); "Alienability of Mass Tort Claims," (DePaul Law Review, 2014; 19th Annual Clifford Symposium on Tort Law and Social Policy); and "The Spending Power After NFIB v. Sebelius," (Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, 2013; Federalist Society Symposium). Professor Baker is also the co-author of a leading law school text, Local Government Law: Cases and Materials (Foundation Press, 5th ed. 2015) (with Clayton P. Gillette and David Schleicher).
A world champion in tournament bridge, Professor Baker won a gold medal at the 2014 World Bridge Championships (McConnell Cup) in Sanya, China, and a silver medal at the 2009 World Bridge Championships (Venice Cup) in Sao Paulo, Brazil. She is also a sixteen-time North American champion and won a gold medal at the 2015 European Open Championships.
- Aggregate Settlements and Attorney Liability: The Evolving Landscape [Symposium: Lawyers as Targets: Suing, Prosecuting and Defending Lawyers], 44 Hofstra Law Review 291 (2016). View article
- Is the Price Right? An Empirical Study of Fee-Setting in Securities Class Actions, 115 Columbia Law Review 1371 (2015) (with Michael A. Perino & Charles Silver). View article
- Local Government Law: Cases and Materials (New York: Foundation Press, 5th ed. 2015) (with Clayton P. Gillette & David Schleicher) (also 4th ed. 2010; 3rd ed. 2004 – both New York: Foundation Press; 2nd ed. 1999, Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen Law & Business – all with Clayton P. Gillette).
May 25, 2016
HarrisMartin's MDL Conference
Spoke on "Ethical Finality in Mass Tort Litigation" at HarrisMartin's "MDL Conference: 'Bet-the-Company' Mass Tort Litigation" in Chicago, IL.
January 16, 2016
Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News
"Attorney Fees Key to Fighting Wall Street Fraud" (with Charles Silver)
January 13, 2016
"Commentary: Improve Market Integrity by Standardizing Attorneys' Fees" (with Charles Silver)