Lynn A. Baker
- Frederick M. Baron Chair in Law;
- Co-Director - Center on Lawyers, Civil Justice and the Media
- JD Yale
- BA Oxford
- BA Yale
Areas of Specialty
Professor Baker's wide-ranging scholarly and teaching interests include Professional Responsibility (especially the professional responsibilities of lawyers in "aggregate" litigation and group settlements), attorneys' fees, mass tort litigation, "Mega-settlements" (about which she regularly teaches an eponymous seminar), and State and Local Government Law. She is often called upon by lawyers to serve as a consultant and/or expert witness on issues of legal ethics, mass tort settlements and settlement fund allocations, and attorneys' fees.
Professor Baker is the author or co-author of dozens of articles and book chapters, which have appeared in the Columbia Law Review, Cornell Law Review, Duke Law Journal, Texas Law Review, and the Virginia Law Review, among many others. Her most recent publications include "Aggregate Settlements and Attorney Liability" (Hofstra Law Review, 2016, symposium contribution); "Is the Price Right? An Empirical Study of Fee-Setting in Securities Class Actions" (Columbia Law Review, 2015) (with Michael A. Perino and Charles Silver); "Alienability of Mass Tort Claims," (DePaul Law Review, 2014; 19th Annual Clifford Symposium on Tort Law and Social Policy); and "The Spending Power After NFIB v. Sebelius," (Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, 2013; Federalist Society Symposium). Professor Baker is also the co-author of a leading law school text, Local Government Law: Cases and Materials (Foundation Press, 5th ed. 2015) (with Clayton P. Gillette and David Schleicher).
A graduate of Yale Law School, Yale College, and Oxford University (Marshall Scholar), she was a Law Clerk to the Hon. Amalya L. Kearse, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (1985-86 Term). A world champion in tournament bridge, Professor Baker won a gold medal at the 2014 World Bridge Championships (McConnell Cup) in Sanya, China, and a silver medal at the 2009 World Bridge Championships (Venice Cup) in Sao Paulo, Brazil. She is also a sixteen-time North American champion and won a gold medal at the 2015 European Open Championships.
- Aggregate Settlements and Attorney Liability: The Evolving Landscape [Symposium: Lawyers as Targets: Suing, Prosecuting and Defending Lawyers], 44 Hofstra Law Review 291 (2016). View article
- Is the Price Right? An Empirical Study of Fee-Setting in Securities Class Actions, 115 Columbia Law Review 1371 (2015) (with Michael A. Perino & Charles Silver). View article
- Local Government Law: Cases and Materials (New York: Foundation Press, 5th ed. 2015) (with Clayton P. Gillette & David Schleicher) (also 4th ed. 2010; 3rd ed. 2004 – both New York: Foundation Press; 2nd ed. 1999, Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen Law & Business – all with Clayton P. Gillette).
February 10, 2017
TTLA 4th Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Seminar
Invited Presentation on "Ethical Finality in Mass Tort Settlements," TTLA 4th Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Seminar, Austin, TX.
January 7, 2017
Law School Outreach Summit
Participated in the invitation-only Law School Outreach Summit, hosted by the Pound Civil Justice Institute in San Francisco, CA.
Invited Paper and Presentation
December 7, 2016
Tel Aviv University Law School Law & Economics Workshop
Presented "Mass Torts and the Pursuit of Ethical Finality" at Tel Aviv University Law School, Tel Aviv, Israel.