Eastern District of Texas Bar Association Scholarship
The Eastern District of Texas Bar Association is an organization that has the following purposes:
- The facilitation of the administration of justice in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Fostering the highest ethical and professional standards among lawyers admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Texas.
- Devotion to the improvement of the legal profession and the legal community as a whole in the Eastern District of Texas.
- The preservation of high standards of integrity, honor, professionalism and courtesy in the legal profession among the lawyers admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Texas.
- The cultivation of a spirit of good fellowship and collegiality among the members.
- To provide a forum for the discussion and debate of subjects relevant to the practice of law in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas among the lawyers and judges of the district.
- To do all other things which the board of directors may determine are necessary or helpful to improve the practice of law in the Eastern District of Texas subject only to the limitations placed on non-profit corporations by the laws of the State of Texas or which are placed on Section 501 (c)(6) corporations by the laws of the United States.
- Improving the reputation of the legal profession and the legal community in the Eastern District Of Texas.
Recipients of the Eastern District of Texas Bar Association Scholarship will receive $5,000.00 payable to the law school for the fall semester (tuition; fees) after selection as a recipient. This is a one-year scholarship which may be renewed upon application and award.
Law students and prospective law students from the Eastern District of Texas who are enrolled or have been accepted to an ABA-accredited law school in Texas are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Eastern District of Texas - North Dallas area suburbs (Plano, Allen, McKinney) or the towns or surrounding areas by Sherman, Texarkana, Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Beaumont or the Golden Triangle region in Southeast Texas.
A more detailed listing of counties that are eligible can be found at the Eastern District of Texas website or the link below.
Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Eastern District of Texas Bar Association Board based on the following criteria:
- Born or resided in an Eastern District county or city. (EDTX Counties and Cities)
- Demonstrated financial need or hardship
- Commitment, qualities and actions toward ethics, civility, and professionalism
- Academic merit or other qualities showing a likelihood of law school success
- Written and/or oral communications skills
- Leadership qualities and community involvement
- Demonstrate meaningful connection(s) to the Eastern District of Texas.