National Association of Women Judges Access to Justice Scholarship
The National Association of Women Judges is pleased to offer an Access to Justice Scholarship for $1000 to a woman student at The University of Texas School of Law who has demonstrated a sustained and passionate commitment to the achievement of equality of opportunity and access in the justice system. Preference will be given to applicants who are members of the Thurgood Marshall Legal Society or the Chicano/Hispanic Law Students Association.
Past recipients include Jessica Kemp, Stephanie Kolmar, Laura Peña, Ciara Williams, Adriana Rodriguez, Paige Duggins and Kiah Debolt.
Application information is available on the website for the William Wayne Justice Center for Public Interest Law (https://law.utexas.edu/publicinterest/scholarships/nawj-scholarship/) or in the Financial Aid Office. The application deadline is noon on Thursday, January 23, 2020.
Applicants must be available to speak about their path to law school at the Color of Justice event and scholarship presentation in the Eidman Courtroom the morning of Wednesday, February 5, 2020.
Women students are invited to apply for the scholarship by submitting the following to Rachel Sidopulos, William Wayne Justice Center for Public Interest Law administrator, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, in PDF form:
- Attached application form;
- A personal statement (two to three double-spaced pages in length) describing:
- Are you the first in your family to have gone to college and/or graduate school?
- Have you overcome any obstacles in pursuing your education?
- Please describe any work experience, college activities, community service, and/or work toward advancing diversity and equal opportunity in the justice system for women, minorities, gay men and lesbians, immigrants, low-income communities or other under-served populations.
- What qualities, talents, passions and background experience do you think you would bring to the challenge of advancing diversity, access and equality in the justice system?
- A one-paragraph description of your educational debt;
- Law school transcript (an informal copy is acceptable).
Application Deadline: Noon on Thursday, Jan 23, 2020. The scholarship recipient will be announced by Jan 31, 2020.
Questions should be directed to: Mary Crouter, William Wayne Justice Center for Public Interest Law, email@example.com, 512-232-7855.