Students will meet with transgender individuals who are seeking to correct or update their names and/or gender markers on basic forms of identification. Students will collect information and documents from individuals, explain the name and gender marker change process, and draft petitions and orders to be filed with the court.
Gender Affirmation Project, Mithoff Pro Bono Program
The Gender Affirmation Project is a student-led internal project of the Richard and Ginni Mithoff Pro Bono Program in partnership with OUTLaw.
- Project Start Date
Tuesday October 4 & Saturday, October 8
- Project Time
- Oct 4, 6-7pm & Oct 8, 10am-2pm
- Approximate hours of work requested
- Tuesday, October 4, 5pm-6pm (TNH 2.124); the training session is mandatory for all volunteers who have not participated in GAP during the 2022-23 academic year and will be immediately followed by a work session that is mandatory for all volunteers
- Skills used
- Client interviewing/counseling; community education/outreach; document preparation; cultural competence; understanding of legal theory and related problem-solving
- Project location
- 727 E. Dean Keeton Street, Austin, TX 78705
- Number of student volunteers requested
- Class year preference
- 1L, 2L, 3L, LLM
- Required skills
- Interest in and experience serving LGBTQ, and especially transgender, communities preferred but not required.
- To Apply
- Register at https://gap10-8-22.eventbrite.com