Texas Law Gender Affirmation Project
Students will meet with transgender and non-binary individuals who are seeking to correct or update their names and/or gender markers on basic forms of identification. Students will collect information and documents from individuals, explain the name and gender marker change process, and draft petitions and orders to be filed with the court.
Gender Affirmation Project, Mithoff Pro Bono Program
The Gender Affirmation Project is a student-led internal project of the Richard and Ginni Mithoff Pro Bono Program in partnership with OUTLaw.
- Number of student volunteers requested:
- Project Date:
Saturday, October 30
- Project Time:
- Approximate hours of work requested:
- 6 hours, including training and work session
- Tuesday, October 26, 5:30pm-7:30pm (Zoom link via Canvas); if you have already volunteered for a GAP Clinic in Fall 2021 you may join at 6:15 for the work session
- Project location:
- Skills used:
- Client interviewing/counseling; community education/outreach; document preparation; cultural competence; understanding of legal theory and related problem-solving
- Required skills:
- Interest in and experience serving LGBTQ, and especially transgender, communities preferred but not required.
- Class year preference:
- 1L, 2L, 3L, LLM
- To Apply:
- Register at https://gap3f21.eventbrite.com