Texas Law INCLUDE Project
Students will educate special education students in transition to adulthood/independence and their caregivers/supporters about guardianship and probate, with an emphasis on a new option in state law to enter into Supported Decision Making (SDM) agreements. Students will assist families in drafting SDM agreements where desired. SDM agreements and other alternatives to guardianship allow individuals with disabilities to maintain maximum control over their lives, and avoid unnecessary and costly probate proceedings.
INCLUDE Project, Mithoff Pro Bono Program
The INCLUDE Project is an internal project of the Richard and Ginni Mithoff Pro Bono Program, in partnership with the William Wayne Justice Center for Public Interest Law. The October Alternatives to Guardianship clinic is being conducted in partnership with the Austin Independent School District.
- 727 E. Dean Keeton Street, Austin, TX 78705
- Number of student volunteers requested:
- Project Date:
Monday, October 26, 5:30pm-8:30pm; second, optional clinic for finalizing and executing SDM agreements tentatively set for the evening of Monday, November 9
- Project Time:
- Approximate hours of work requested:
- 5.5 hours, including training (7.5 hours if attending second, optional clinic)
- Students must attend a 2 hour training session: Thursday, October 22, 6pm-8pm in TNH 2.123. For students who can not make this training there will be a training video available. Contact Lucy Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org for the video training option.
- Project location:
- Clifton Career Development School, 1519 Coronado Hills Drive
- Skills used:
- Client interviewing/counseling; community education/outreach; document preparation; cultural competence
- Required skills:
- Strong English skills required; Spanish helpful but not necessary; students with an interest in probate and disability law are strongly encouraged to apply
- Class year preference:
- 1L, 2L, 3L, LLM
- To Apply:
- Submit email stating interest and any language skills to Sarah Sedgwick at email@example.com