Health and Human Rights
The Rapoport Center has long explored the central question of what role can human rights ideas, laws, and practices play in remedying the massive disparities that exist in health outcomes, access to health care, and differential life expectancy both within and between nations. Through our advocacy and research, we seek to foster conversations that address this central question, and promote a view of health that takes into account the economic, legal, environmental, social, psychological, and political determinants of health.
For the past five years, our primary research focus has been on the political and legal drivers of inequality, including a project on the future of work. At present, we are investigating how the COVID-19 pandemic is exacerbating existing economic, racial and occupational vulnerabilities to illness and premature death in a variety of COVID-19 hotspots. We are using our research on health disparities – in collaboration with the Dell medical school – to expand our work on matters of labor precarity through collaborations with colleagues in a wide variety of academic disciplines across campus and at other institutions, as well as with a number of NGOs, to produce case studies that suggest better policies for responding to inequality and COVID-19.
We invite you to explore this page to find out more about our programming, research, advocacy and mentoring in the area of Health and Human Rights.
- The Trial of Public Health in India Question: Questions for Ethics and Justice
- Creating Model Health Communities, Summit I: Recognizing Social Determinants of Health, Combating Health Disparities
- Creating Model Health Communities, Summit II: Human Rights & Community Health Engagement: Think Globally to Act Locally
- Nutrition, Gender and Food Security in Africa
- Bioethics and Human Rights: Can Human Rights Survive the Posthuman?
- What is (a) Life Worth? Genealogy and Anthropology of Inequality
- Sexual and Reproductive Health: Inequality and Human Rights
- Recognizing Social Determinants of Health, Combating Health Disparities
- TRIPS, Human Rights, and the Health Impact Fund
- Cycles of Right to Health Litigation: the Elusive Argentine Experience
- World AIDS Day Conference
- Exploring Black Queer Sex, Love, and Life in the Age of AIDS
- The Future of Access: World AIDS Day Conference
- World AIDS Day Conference: AIDS, Health, and Criminality
- World AIDS Week
- HIV/AIDS: Human Rights, Archives, and Memory