James Augustus Gray, 96, of Caldwell, TX, passed away peacefully on Dec. 17, 2020. Gray was a lifelong member of the Texas Exes and was a licensed attorney and a member of the State Bar of Texas for 65 years. He maintained a general law practice in Burleson County for 63 years, representing many clients. Gray also served as the County Attorney for Burleson County for 30 years and the City Attorney of Caldwell for 60 years. He served as the president of the Caldwell Recreational Association for 15 years. Gray was also the charter director and secretary of the Burleson County Industrial Foundation, charter director of the Thomas L. Goodnight Memorial Hospital Corporation, and director of the First State Bank of Caldwell.
Class of 1949
John R. Locke, Jr. died on Friday, Sept. 25, 2020, at age 96. Locke is a double Longhorn. After getting his undergraduate degree, he volunteered for pilot training in the U.S. Army Air Force. Upon graduation from Texas Law, Locke first practiced as an United States Attorney for the Western District of Texas. In 1950, he joined his father’s law firm Kelso, Locke & King, which later became Groce, Locke & Hebdon. Locke served on the Board of Directors of Cullen Frost and was a member of numerous civic and social organizations. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Texas Cavaliers Charitable Foundation, 1250 NE Loop 410, Suite 234, San Antonio, TX 78209.
William Hilgers passed peacefully at 95 on July 17, 2020. Hilgers served as a bombardier navigator in the Army Air Corp in Belgium at only 18 years old. Hilgers returned to the University of Texas to study accounting and law. After opening up an accounting firm with his father Harry, he began a sixty-five-year career as a lawyer with an emphasis on corporate, tax, and estate planning. In 1977, Hilgers founded the law firm, Hilgers & Watkins. Hilgers served as chair of both the Travis County and the Texas Bar Association. He was a founding director of the Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism. Recently, the Austin Bar Association named their new building, “Hilgers House”.