- Semester: Spring 2024
- Course ID: 697C
- Credit Hours: 6
- Course Type: Clinic
- Grading Method: Pass/Fail Mandatory
- Experiential Credit: 6 credit hours
- Upperclass-only elective
|2:30 - 3:45 pm
APPLICATION REQUIRED. Application and/or instructions on how to apply for this clinic can be accessed on the web: https://law.utexas.edu/clinics/application-information/
This clinic includes a mandatory one-time orientation on Saturday, January 20, 2024 from 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM.
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CLINIC IS A 6-HR. CLINIC. Grading is Pass/Fail. The clinical component of this course will involve student representation of domestic violence survivors in a myriad of legal problems, including custody, divorce, visitation, housing, protective orders, parole advocacy and occasionally in consumer and public assistance matters. Further, students will perform parole advocacy on behalf of survivors of domestic violence who are in prison due to their victimization.
The class sessions will cover the matters relevant in civil domestic violence cases: safety planning, comprehensive intake, case analysis and handling, investigation, negotiation, trial preparation, discovery, and temporary and permanent orders, including protective orders.
In addition to regular class time, there are five additional mandatory time commitments for participation in the Domestic Violence Clinic:
- Orientation will be the Saturday before school starts, August 26th from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. This is a mandatory meeting. You may not participate in the Clinic if you do not attend the orientation class. Please mark your calendar now.
- A one-hour weekly meeting with the supervising attorney.
- You will be scheduled for 4 hours per week office hours/phone duty at the Clinic.
- You will be expected to document an average of eleven hours per week on your cases towards the hours required for clinic credit.
- This is a litigation clinic, and you will be first chairing your cases. Court appearances may require that you miss class.
Due to these requirements, you may not take another clinic or internship at the same time that you take this clinic.
Prerequisites: Students enrolling should not be on scholastic probation. No other clinics may be taken at the same time as this clinic. An application is required.