Protecting African American Historic Places in Texas: A Community Legal Toolkit
This guide provides community groups and individuals interested in the preservation of sites in Texas with ties to African American heritage with an overview of the legal tools available to help achieve their goals. The focus of this toolkit is on the most common legal tools available to help preserve African American historic sites, rather than the financial tools, technical expertise (for example, in genealogy or archaeology), or other tools that may be needed for the successful preservation of a site.
- State and Federal Historic Designations and Markers
- Local Historic Landmarks and Districts
- Cultural and Heritage Districts
- Demolition Delay Ordinances
- Historic Preservation Easements
- Tax Benefits