Susan R. Klein
- Alice McKean Young Regents Chair in Law
- JD University of California-Berkeley
- BA Wellesley College
Susan Riva Klein, the Alice McKean Young Regents Chair in Law at the University of Texas, is a nationally prominent scholar in the fields of criminal procedure, federal criminal law, and prosecutorial ethics. Her many articles have appeared in the University of Pennsylvania Law Review, the Michigan Law Review, the California Law Review, the Supreme Court Review, the Stanford Law Review, and many other top ten journals, and have been cited recently by the United States Supreme Court. She is active in educating state and federal judges, Chief Reporter for committee to redraft the "Fifth Circuit Pattern Jury Instruction, Criminal" (West 2001, and West 2013), and currently serves on the State Bar of Texas standing committee on Pattern Jury Charges - Criminal. The first four volumes of Texas Criminal Pattern Jury Charges, "Intoxication and Controlled Substances," “Crimes Committed Against Persons”, “Property Offenses” and “Property Defenses”were published by the State Bar of Texas in 2009 through 2013. She is currently co-author of Abrams, Beale, and Klein, "Federal Criminal Law and Its Enforcement" (West 2009). She serves on the members consultative group of the American Law Institute's Model Penal Code, Sentencing. Upon graduation from Boalt Hall School of Law, she clerked for Judge Cynthia H. Hall on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and spent four years as a federal criminal prosecutor with the United States Department of Justice through the Attorney General's Honor Program.
- Waiving the Criminal Justice System: An Empirical and Constitutional Analysis, 52 American Criminal Law Review 73 (2015) (with Aleza S. Remis & Donna Lee Elm).
- Texas Criminal Pattern Jury Instructions - Preparatory Crimes (State Bar of Texas, 2015) (with State Bar Committee on Pattern Jury Charges - Criminal).
- Federal Criminal Law and Its Enforcement (St. Paul: West, 6th ed. 2015 with Norman Abrams & Sara Sun Beale; St. Paul: West, 5th ed. 2010 with Norman Abrams & Sara Sun Beale; Supplement 2012; 2010, with Norman Abrams & Sara Sun Beale; Teacher's Manual 5th ed. 2010 with Norman Abrams & Sara Sun Beale).
"Landmark U.S. Supreme Court Cases"
January 8, 2013
"Landmark U.S. Supreme Court Cases," available on Video prepared by State Bar of Texas for High School students taking the U.S. gov't TEKS.
"Brady and Discovery"
December 7, 2012
What Works in the State and Federal Systems," presentation to 100 newly-elected Texas prosecutors, Texas District and County Attorneys Association, Austin, TX,
"Improving the Advisory Guideline System"
February 16, 2012
"Improving the Advisory Guideline System" (with Hon. Gerard Lynch, 2d Cir., Hon. Andre Davis, 4th Cir., Fed. Public Defender Henry Bemporad, Hearing before the U.S. Sentencing Commission, Washington, D.C.