Stanley M. Johanson
- James A. Elkins Centennial Chair in Law; University Distinguished Teaching Professor
- LLM Harvard
- LLB University of Washington - Seattle
- BS Yale
Professor Johanson, who joined the Texas faculty in 1963, was in the inaugural group of professors who were elected, in 1995, to the University of Texas Academy of Distinguished Teachers, whose purpose is to give public recognition to outstanding classroom teachers at the University of Texas at Austin. Professor Johanson teaches courses on Wills & Estates, Estate Planning and Property. He is the editor emeritus of Wills, Trusts and Estates (Aspen, 9th ed., 2013), which is used in over 120 American law schools, and is the author of Johanson's Texas Estates Code Annotated (West, 2004-2014) and "Wills", in the Gilbert Law Series (Bar/Bri Group, 2010).
In 1997, Professor Johanson received the Treat Award for Excellence, the highest honor bestowed by the National College of Probate Judges, and in 2005 he was presented a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section, State Bar of Texas, for his contributions to the improvement of Texas wills and trust law. In 2008, Professor Johanson was elected to the Estate Planning Hall of Fame by the National Association of Estate Planning Councils, and in 2011 he received the Outstanding Tax Lawyer Award, presented by the Taxation Section, State Bar of Texas. Professor Johanson has received the students' Teaching Excellence Award on eight occasions, most recently in 2014. He has been a Visiting Professor at the University of Chicago, the University of Illinois, the University of North Carolina, the University of Washington, and UCLA. Professor Johanson is a member of the American Law Institute, an Academic Fellow of the American College of Trusts & Estates Counsel, and an Academic Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel. He is the former editor-in-chief of the Washington Law Review and was Teaching Fellow at the Harvard Law School in 1961-63.
- Johanson's Texas Estates Code Annotated (St. Paul: West, 2014; Previously published as Johanson's Texas Probate Code Annotated St. Paul: West, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004; Rochester, N.Y.: Lawyers Cooperative Publishing, 2003, 2001, 2000; 1999; 1998; 1997; 1996).
- Wills and Trusts, 6th Edition (Law School Legends Audio Series) (Chicago: Gilbert Law Publishing, 2011).
- Gilbert Law Summary on Wills (St. Paul: West, 12th ed. 2011; Chicago, IL: BarBri Group, 11th ed. 2003; Chicago, IL: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Legal and Professional Publications, 10th ed. 1986).
September 28, 2007
Houston Estate and Financial Forum
Recent Developments speech at the Houston Estate and Financial Forum on September 28th.
August 31, 2007
Texas State Bar Advanced Taxation Course
On August 31st, spoke on Recent Developments in Estate Planning at the Texas State Bar Advanced Taxation Course in Houston.
The 2007 edition of Stanley Johanson's Texas Probate Code Annotated was published in August.