How to Take a Practice Exam
How to Take a Practice Exam
Exam4 currently supports: (What OS Version do I have?)
- Windows 10 (Home, Pro, Edu and Enterprise) (including “Fall 2019 Update (v1909)”)
- Windows 8.1 (Home, Pro and Enterprise)
- macOS 10.15 Catalina
- macOS 10.14.6 Mojave
- macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra
If you have not already done so, download the latest version of Exam4.
Every semester, to ensure that the latest version of Exam4 will work correctly with your laptop, you must take a practice exam prior to each exam period (early/midterm, if applicable, and final). Once you have downloaded and installed Exam4 on your laptop, please complete the following steps to confirm that your installation was successful:
- Make sure you are within the Law School. If you are outside of the Law School, Exam4’s firewall settings will prevent you from submitting your practice exam.
- Find the new Exam4 icon on your computer and open it as you would any software program.
- At the first screen, confirm that the expiration date is April 14, 2020. The expiration date is located in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
- Choose “Prepare to start new exam” and proceed to the next screen.
- From the drop-down menu, choose “Practice Exam – Closed” (or “Practice Exam – Open Laptop”* if you are taking an exam with this mode).
- Proceed through the next few screens. When you reach Step 5 (Exam Mode), type the word “closed” (or “open” if you are taking an Open Laptop exam) in the text-area on the right-hand side of the screen. Check the box to confirm the exam mode . Proceed to the final screen.
- Click the “Begin Exam” button. Exam4 will now run a brief security check on your system. When your laptop passes the security check, Exam4 will launch its secure word-processor.*
- Thoroughly test all menu options to ensure that Exam4 will function properly on your computer: type some text; cut, copy and paste; insert special characters; perform a spell-check; display statistics by checking the appropriate box on the right side of the screen or selecting it from the Tools menu at the top.
- End, save and submit your practice exam. You are now ready to take your in-class exams with Exam4.**
*Some exams will be administered with OPEN LAPTOP mode. This means you may be able to access materials on your computer’s hard drive while using Exam4, but you do not have access to the internet. Exam4 prohibits cutting and pasting from any external document into the exam screen. Please contact your professor or the SAO if you have questions about whether a specific exam is OPEN LAPTOP or CLOSED.
** You must have wireless Internet access on the laptop you will use to type your exams and you must be connected to the restricted.utexas.edu network to submit your exam. If you receive an error message during security check, please write down the error #, along with the exact wording of the error message, and contact Extegrity’s User Support: Go to http://www.exam4.com, click “For Law Schools” on the left, then click “User/Tech Support,” also on the left.