Non-Law Students

  • Non-law graduate students may request approval to take a course after early registration is completed in the School of Law.
  • A non-degree seeking student who wishes to enroll in a law school course must meet all prerequisites for the course and must receive written approval from the course instructor and the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.  Either the instructor, the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, or the Dean may refuse any request to enroll in a law school course.  Non-degree seeking students may enroll in law school courses only when space is available.  No more than one non-degree seeking student is allowed in any course.  Non-degree seeking students are limited to enrolling in no more than two law school courses and must be classified as a graduate-level non-degree seeker.
  • A first-year law course may be taken by a non-law graduate or a non-degree seeking student with the approval of the Associate Dean.
  • The grade from a law course may not be available until several weeks after the term’s end. A non-law graduate student graduating in the same semester will need to make sure the professor is aware of their pending graduation upon obtaining their approval on the registration form. If the professor does not agree to provide a grade early for graduation purposes, graduate students who take a law course in their final semester may not be certified for graduation until the following semester via In Absentia registration.
  • Law school grades are often C’s and D’s, even though a student may have worked hard and, under law school standards, been successful. Graduate students should have a clear understanding with their own schools on how the grade will be recorded. The Law School does not offer a pass-fail option; however, non-law graduate students may request special permission to take a law school course on a pass-fail basis by obtaining approval from their Dean or Advisor.
  • Undergraduate students are not permitted to take law school courses.

After securing approval of the professor, you must submit a Non Law Graduate Student Course Request form and have it signed by your dean/advisor before seeking approval in the law school. The approved form must be on file in the Student Affairs Office prior to registration in a law school course.