Registration on a Pass/Fail Basis

In general, students take law courses for letter grades.  In some cases, the dean may determine that pass/fail grading is preferable for a course. Courses that will be offered only on the pass/fail basis are announced before registration.

Beginning in Fall 2014, in addition to classes offered only on a pass/fail basis, students may elect to take one otherwise graded class pass/fail in their second or third years of law school.  Courses that may not be taken pass/fail will be announced before registration.  The student should choose the pass/fail option at the time of registration and may not change the grading basis in a course after the deadline given in the University’s Academic Calendar.  Students may only elect to take an otherwise graded course pass/fail only once during their academic career.  Directed Research and Study and courses that are offered only on the pass/fail basis (such as clinics) are not affected by this policy. This policy does not apply to LLM, International Exchange, or visiting students.

A law student who registers for a course on the pass/fail basis and earns a grade of C or better is awarded the symbol CR for the course; if the student receives a grade lower than a C, a grade of F is recorded. If the student receives the symbol CR, the course is not included in the grade point average; if the student receives a grade of F, the course is included in the grade point average.

Coursework requirements and methods of evaluation in a course will be the same for students registered on the pass/fail basis as they are for students registered on the letter-grade basis.

A non-law graduate student who enrolls in a law school course offered for a letter grade may register on the credit/no credit basis if permitted to do so by his or her graduate adviser.

To change a letter-graded course to or from the pass/fail basis, please fill out the Change Grading Status Form. You will need to know the unique number and course number of the class you want to change. Be sure to check either the “Pass/Fail” column of the Upperclass Course List, or the Grading Method in the class description in the course schedule to make sure your class is eligible for the pass/fail option.