The University of Texas Law School Foundation Board of Trustees announces the election of John H. Massey, ’66, of Dallas and Columbus, Texas as its new president. Mr. Massey assumed the presidency on September 1, 2012.
Massey and his family are the owners of Columbus State Bank in Columbus, Texas, and Hill Bank and Trust Company in Weimar, Texas. He has been an active participant as a senior executive and a director on a number of publicly owned corporations including insurance companies, banks, industrial and service companies, and consumer product companies. Eight of these companies were listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Massey has also served as Chairman of the Investment Committee for the private equity funds group for Neuberger Berman Company, one of the world’s largest investment management companies.
Massey received the Most Distinguished Alumnus award from SMU’s Cox School of Business in 1993. In 2009 he received the Outstanding Dallas Texas Exes Alumnus Award. In 2011 he received the highest honor awarded to an alumnus of the University of Texas, the Presidential Citation Award, and in 2012 he received the Hall of Fame Award for high achievement in business from UT’s McCombs School of Business. He is also active in agricultural and wildlife conservation activities in Colorado County and Matagorda County, Texas.
Massey received a BBA from Southern Methodist University and an MBA from Cornell University. He also earned an LLB from the University of Texas School of Law. He received his Chartered Financial Analyst designation and has been a member of the State Bar of Texas since 1966.
The University of Texas Law School Foundation was founded in 1952 through the foresight and efforts of Charles I. Francis, Sylvan Lang, Angus G. Wynne, Hines Baker, Dan Moody, Robert E. Hardwick, and Hugh Lamar Stone. These visionary lawyers recognized the critical need for private support in order for the Law School to achieve its full potential. The charge of the Law School Foundation was, as it remains today, to further legal education, legal research, financial assistance to deserving students, and the overall mission of the Law School. The current board includes a group of twenty-nine preeminent graduates of the Law School, women and men who are nationally and internationally recognized in their respective careers in law, business, and government.
The Foundation Board of Trustees oversees the management of invested endowed funds of more than $100 million and the development of fundraising strategies and programs. An additional $100 million in endowed funds is managed by the University of Texas Investment Management Company (UTIMCO) and administered by the University of Texas for the benefit of the School of Law. The Board also works in cooperation with the University of Texas Development Board for the advancement of the general welfare of the University of Texas as a whole.
The University of Texas School of Law is one of the most prestigious institutions of legal education in the United States. The Law School began as the University of Texas at Austin’s Department of Law when the University was founded in 1883. The Law School started with two professors and fifty-two students in the basement of the University’s Old Main Building. The Law School has since grown to more than 1,200 students and offers the Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD) and the Master of Laws (LLM). UT Law offers quality legal education programs that are led by a dynamic faculty with a depth and breadth of experience matched by few other law schools, and which is consistently ranked at the top for its excellence in both classroom teaching and scholarly research. The newly renovated Tarlton Law Library is among the largest academic law libraries in the country and the finest legal research center in the Southwest. The Law School has approximately 23,500 living alumni who have forged distinguished careers in government, public-service organizations, corporations, and law firms throughout Texas, the nation, and the world.