Students will assist individuals with driver license holds related to unpaid criminal justice debt. Students will work in pairs to meet with low-income drivers over Zoom, research the cause(s) of license suspensions, draft letters to courts requesting waiver of court debt, and explain the steps drivers must take to recover their licenses. Supervising attorneys and Pro Bono Scholars will work with students throughout the process.
Driver License Recovery Project, Mithoff Pro Bono Program
The Driver License Recovery Project is dedicated to addressing how driver license suspensions contribute to a cycle of incarceration for debt and create significant employment barriers in low-income communities.
- Project Start Date
- Approximate hours of work requested
- 10-15 hours including training, between training date and mid-October
- Wednesday, February 1, 3:30pm-5pm (TNH 2.137)
- Skills used
- Client communication; records research; document preparation/review
- Project location
- 727 E. Dean Keeton Street, Austin, TX 78705
- Number of student volunteers requested
- Class year preference
- 1L, 2L, 3L, LLM
- To Apply
- Register at https://dlrfall23.eventbrite.com