Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Does Texas Law offer specialized LL.M. degrees?

    We offer a single LL.M. degree with six concentrations:

    1. Business Law
    2. Cybersecurity Law
    3. Global Energy, International Arbitration & Environmental Law
    4. Human Rights & Comparative Constitutional Law
    5. Latin American & International Law
    6. U.S. Law for Foreign Lawyers
    Back to top
  2. Who is eligible for each concentration?

    Applicants with a foreign law degree are eligible for all concentrations. Applicants with a J.D. from an ABA-approved school are eligible for all concentrations except for the U.S. Law for Foreign Lawyers concentration.

    Back to top
  3. Do I need a law degree to apply to the LL.M. program?

    Applicants must have earned a J.D. from an ABA-approved U.S. law school or the equivalent of the J.D. from an accredited law school or university in another country. In most foreign countries, this is a first professional degree in law (i.e., LL.B.). If you are in the last year of your law studies and will receive your degree prior to starting the LL.M. Program, you may also apply to the LL.M. Program.

    Back to top
  4. Do you have a part-time, distance, or online program?

    No, our program is full-time and must be completed in-person within one academic year (fall and spring semesters). The University of Texas School of Law does not offer an online or hybrid (a mixture of online and on-campus learning) LL.M. Program.

    Back to top
  5. What are the program dates?

    A mandatory week-long orientation for admitted LL.M. students begins in mid-August. The fall semester runs from late August to mid-December, and the spring semester runs from mid-January to mid-May. All LL.M.s are expected to complete their degree program in May.

    Back to top
  6. May I transfer credits from another LL.M. program to Texas Law?

    Texas Law does not accept transfer credits in the LL.M. Program. Students currently in another LL.M. program may apply to the Texas Law LL.M. Program but must take the required 24 credits.

    Back to top
  7. Do I need to take the LSAT?

    No, the LSAT is not required to apply to our LL.M. program.

    Back to top
  8. How do I request an application?

    LL.M. applications are available and processed through the Law School Admissions Council (LSAC).

    Back to top
  9. When is your LL.M. application deadline?

    Our deadline for priority consideration is March 1st. Late applications will be accepted, subject to space availability.

    Back to top
  10. Do my transcripts need to be translated into English?

    If the official law school transcript with final grades and proof of degree are in a language other than English, then literal (word-for-word) English translations are required. However, certified English translations are not required. Applicants must submit all higher education transcripts, including transcripts for study abroad programs, and proof(s) of degree.

    Back to top
  11. Do you require interviews for admission?

    Interviews are not required, but we do try to set up informal interviews with a number of qualified international applicants throughout the application period.

    Back to top
  12. Who has to demonstrate English proficiency?

    The Law School curriculum is rigorous and demands a strong command of English. Applicants with a foreign law degree must demonstrate English proficiency by taking a language test.

    Applicants are exempt from submitting a TOEFL iBT or IELTS Academic score if they hold a first degree in law from a university where English is the medium of instruction. These countries include: Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa (English medium universities), the United Kingdom, and the United States.

    An applicant whose first degree in law was taught in English in another country can apply for an exemption from this requirement by submitting a statement from their law school verifying that English was the medium of instruction.

    LL.M. students who waive the TOEFL iBT/IELTS Academic requirement will not be granted extended time on their final exams. All non-native English speaking LL.M.s who do complete the TOEFL iBT/IELTS Academic requirement will receive extended time for their final exams.

    Back to top
  13. What test do you require to show English proficiency?

    The Law School curriculum is rigorous and demands a strong command of English. We accept the TOEFL iBT or the IELTS Academic. We require a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 101. The code for LSAC is 8395. We also accept an IELTS Academic score of 7.5 or higher. There is no institution code for IELTS.  The official score should be submitted through LSAC.

    Back to top
  14. Do you accept MyBest™ TOEFL score reports?

    No, we do not accept MyBest™ TOEFL score reports.

    Back to top
  15. Who should write my recommendation letters?

    We strongly recommend that at least one letter of recommendation come from an academic source. However, letters from employers or others who have worked closely with you can be very helpful, particularly if you have been out of school for many years.

    Back to top
  16. Do you have a recommendation form?

    LSAC provides a recommendation form.

    Back to top
  17. Can letters of recommendation letter be sent directly to the LL.M. Program?

    No, the letters of recommendation must be sent through LSAC. Visit LSAC for more information.

    Back to top
  18. How do I pay the $75 application fee?

    The fee can be paid online with a credit card through LSAC.

    Back to top
  19. How do I know if my application is complete?

    Applicants have access to an applicant dashboard where they may track the status of their application. After an applicant submits their application, they receive an "application receive email" with a link to their Texas Law Applicant Dashboard and login credentials.

    Back to top
  20. When are admissions decisions made?

    Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The priority deadline is March 1st.

    Back to top
  21. How will I be notified of a decision on my application?

    An email is sent to applicants who are offered admission. This is followed by the official admit letter via email and mail.  Applicants who are not admitted will receive an email with the decision.

    Back to top
  22. If I am admitted, is a deposit required to hold my place?

    Yes, a $500 nonrefundable enrollment deposit is required to confirm your place in the LL.M. Program. The deposit can be paid with a money order, cashier's check, MasterCard, Visa, Discover or American Express.

    The enrollment deposit will be applied to the admitted student's fall tuition bill. If you do not enroll in the LL.M. Program, the nonrefundable deposit is forfeited.

    Back to top
  23. How do I procure my student visa?

    You must submit a Certificate of Financial Responsibility to obtain your Form I-20, the primary document to show that you have been admitted to school in the United States and that you are authorized to apply for admission to the United States in F-1 class of admission.. If an offer of admission is made, the International Student & Scholar Services at UT Austin will email you instructions on how to apply for a Form I-20.

    Back to top
  24. If I am admitted, is it possible to defer my arrival until the following year?

    At Texas Law, we expect that all applicants fully intend to enroll in the LL.M. Program in the fall of the year in which they apply. We also understand that individual circumstances related to enrollment can change after submitting an application. Deferral requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Deferrals are limited to one year.

    Back to top
  25. How many credits are required to complete the LL.M. Program at Texas Law?

    The LL.M. degree requires a minimum of 24 credit hours. Many courses at Texas Law are three credit hours, totaling roughly eight courses during the academic year.

    Back to top
  26. How many credits do I take per semester?

    Students must be registered full-time to meet Texas Law and immigration requirements. Full-time status is 10-16 credit hours per semester. Most LL.M. students register for 10-14 credit hours per semester.

    Back to top
  27. Is there a writing requirement?

    Every student must complete a substantial research paper under faculty guidance. Most students satisfy this requirement by completing a 3-credit writing seminar (50-60 double-spaced pages). Alternatively, students may complete a directed research course for at least 2 credits that should result in a paper equal to that of a seminar (30-40 double-spaced pages).

    Back to top
  28. What courses will be offered next year?

    The Fall Course Schedule is posted in March. The Spring Course Schedule is available online in October. The course schedule includes past, current, and future courses. Please note, not all courses are offered every semester. Additionally, the course schedule for a given semester is tentative until the semester in question begins.

    Back to top
  29. Can LL.M. students take courses in other departments at The University of Texas at Austin?

    LL.M. students may apply a small number of credit hours of non-law courses taken at the University of Texas towards the 24 credit hours required for a LL.M. degree. Courses taken for credit towards the LL.M. degree must be related to a course of study offered in the School of Law and must be graduate level courses. Law students taking graduate level courses will be permitted to apply the actual credits earned towards their Even though the grade will transfer only as Credit/No credit, students must earn a C or better, and the graduate level course cannot be taken on a Pass/Fail basis.

    Back to top
  30. How do admitted students select and register for courses?

    Course selection and registration for the fall semester occurs during LL.M. Orientation. Space is limited in many courses, so not all courses are available. Courses may added or dropped up until the twelfth class day. Early registration for the spring semester takes place in October.

    Back to top
  31. How do I know if I am eligible to pay Texas resident tuition rates?

    To qualify as a Texas resident, an individual must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, reside in Texas for one year, and establish a domicile in Texas prior to enrollment. Visit Texas Residency for more information.

    Back to top
  32. When must I pay my tuition & fees bill?

    Tuition is assessed and paid by semester, based on the number of credit hours taken. Fall tuition and fees for new students are due in late August, and spring tuition and fees are due in late August. Students may pay tuition and fees in full or they may pay in installments. If the installment option is chosen, the first half is due immediately and then two additional installment payments are due one month apart. There is a small fee for the installment option. Tuition and fees may be paid using one of the following methods: card (Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express (all cards are subject to a nonrefundable 2.3% convenience fee)), eCheck, or electronic funds transfer. Visit Texas One Stop for more information.

    Back to top
  33. Do you offer financial aid for LL.M. students?

    The LL.M. Program offers scholarship support for its ablest applicants. Admitted students are automatically considered for internal scholarships, and a separate application is not required. Internal third-party scholarships require a separate application and have their own internal deadline.

    Prospective and admitted international LL.M. students are encouraged to apply for financial aid and scholarships from their home countries. eduPASS and International Student Organization have compiled lists of scholarships for international students. Additionally, the LL.M. Program has assembled a list of external scholarships that are country-specific and criteria-specific (please see details below).

    Prospective LL.M. students interested in applying for a Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship can expect the application process to take 12-18 months.

    Visit Scholarship Opportunities for more information.

    Back to top
  34. What are the medical requirements for incoming students?

    The University of Texas at Austin requires international students to complete certain medical clearance requirements before they are allowed to register for classes. Visit University Health Services for more information.

    Back to top
  35. Am I required to purchase health insurance?

    Enrollment in UT-endorsed student health insurance plan is mandatory and automatic for international students. The cost of the insurance is added directly to the student’s fee bill.

    Health insurance coverage is optional for an accompanying spouse and children of F-1 visa holders but strongly encouraged.

    Health insurance coverage is mandatory for an accompanying spouse and children of J-1 visa holders under U.S. Department of State regulations. Insurance coverage for a spouse and children is not included in the student’s tuition bill. Coverage must be purchased separately from United Healthcare Student Resources.

    Insurance rates are posted on the Texas Global website and are subject to change from year to year.

    The Department of State requires that the accompanying spouse and children of J-1 visa holders maintain appropriate medical coverage for the duration of their presence in the United States. Willful failure to comply with this requirement will result in the termination of the J-1 program. ISSS strongly recommends that F-2 dependents maintain health insurance coverage.

    Dependents are not automatically added to the UT Student Health Insurance Plan. If you wish to add dependents to your medical coverage, you must do so each semester (fall, spring, and summer). To add a dependent(s), schedule an appointment with the Insurance Advisor. To determine the cost of dependent insurance, please see Insurance Coverage Dates & Costs.

    Note: Dependent spouses who enroll in an ESL class are eligible to purchase the UT Student Health Insurance Plan at the lower student rate! See more information about this option on the UT ESL Services dependent insurance web page.

    The University of Texas Board of Regents requires all international students in a F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 visa status to have health insurance coverage which complies with the provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). For this reason, enrollment in the UT Student Health Insurance Plan is automatic at the time of registration, and the cost of the policy is included in the student’s tuition and fee bill. In certain cases, students holding comparable coverage may be eligible to waive enrollment in the UT Student Health Insurance Plan.

    Review  waiver eligibility categories to determine your eligibility, required documentation, and submission deadline and submit via the insurance secure document uploader. Visit Texas Global for more information.

    Health insurance coverage for U.S. citizens and permanent residents is optional. University Health Services strongly urges all students to have health insurance. The UT Student Health Insurance Plan provides great, affordable coverage plus an option for dental insurance. Visit University Health Services for more information.

    Back to top
  36. Is it possible to get a part-time job while enrolled at UT?

    Students with F1 or J1 visas may work on campus up to 20 hours per week during regular semesters and up to 40 hours per week during holidays and vacations. Students interested in on-campus employment often work as research or teaching assistants or for University of Texas Libraries or the UT Co-op. UT has a job database for students. Visit Finding a Student Job for more information.

    Back to top
  37. Can I work in the U.S. after finishing my LL.M. degree at Texas Law?

    Students with an F-1 visa may apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) to work up to one year in the U.S. Students with a J-1 visa may apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Visit Optional Practical Training and Curricular Practical Training for more information.

    Back to top
  38. Do students receive help in looking for a job?

    The Career Services Office (CSO) offers assistance to LL.M. students with their job search strategies. This includes discussing job hunt strategies, reviewing resumes and cover letters, practicing interview skills, etc. A CSO counselor specializes in assisting LL.M. students.

    Students must be proactive in their job search and start early. CSO is readily available to advise students on how to begin exploring their actions.

    Back to top
  39. Does Texas Law participate in any LL.M. job fairs?

    Yes, we participate in the International Student Interview Program (ISIP) at NYU in January. We also participate in the UCLA LL.M. Interview Program at UCLA in February.

    Back to top
  40. Are LL.M. students eligible for on-campus interviews?

    Most employers who recruit at Texas Law are primarily interested in interviewing students in the J.D. Program. LL.M. students are eligible to interview only with employers who are interested in meeting with LL.M. students.

    Back to top
  41. Are there good schools and childcare options?

    The University of Texas at Austin offers a series of family resources, including on childcare, family life services, lactation/quiet rooms, and a Counseling & Mental Health Center.

    Schools in the community includes Austin ISD, Eanes ISD, Hayes ISD, Round Rock ISD, and Pfluggerville ISD.

    Back to top
  42. Do I need to have a car?

    Capital Metro offers bus, shuttle and rail service to the greater Austin metropolitan area. Many students prefer not to bring a car to campus, but instead use Capital Metro or take advantage of the university’s central location by walking or bicycling.

    Those who wish to drive to campus must purchase a parking permit.

    We’re located in the heart of Austin, so parking is a challenge. Most lots are on the outskirts of campus, but UT Shuttles can get you from them to your campus destination with ease.

    Students, faculty and staff with valid UT IDs ride both Capital Metro and UT Shuttles for free.

    Back to top
  43. Can I transfer from the LL.M. Program into the J.D. program?

    No, an LL.M. student cannot transfer to the J.D. Program. They must apply for admission to the J.D. Program via LSAC. The J.D. Program requires applicants to submit a LSAT or GRE score. Upon admission to the J.D. Program, a graduate of an LL.M. program at an ABA-accredited law school may petition to receive credit for one or more courses completed during the LL.M. program as long as the course taken was a J.D. course and the student was graded in a manner comparable to J.D. students in the course.

    Back to top
  44. I took classes at Texas Law as an exchange student. Can I transfer those credits to the LL.M. Degree?

    We are so happy that you loved your experience at Texas Law and that you want to come back for a full year to do the LL.M. degree. The LL.M. consists of 24 credits completed while admitted as an LL.M. student. This means that the credits you took while on exchange at Texas Law cannot count toward the LL.M. degree. However, certain classes you took can count toward concentration requirements - giving you more freedom to take other classes during the LL.M. Program.

    Back to top