The CSO hosts a public-sector Mock Interview Program (government, public interest, and public defense) each year to introduce 1Ls to the legal interviewing process. It also affords attorneys an opportunity to meet our exceptional students. Depending on availability, 2L and 3Ls may also participate in this program.
November 3, 2023
Career Services Interview Suite & Flo Recruit
Practice interviews and attorney feedback are invaluable to our students, preparing them technically and instilling confidence as they embark on their 1L interview season.
Each mock interview will be 20-minutes in length followed by a 10-minute review.
If you have any questions, please contact Rachel Quiroz at 512-232-1161 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to sign up early as interviews are available on a first-come, first-served basis. You are limited to 2 mock interviews at first. If additional slots are available after the initial sign-up period, you will be allowed to schedule 1 more mock interview (for a total of 3).
- Dress professionally as you would for a real interview on the day of your mock interview.
- Please review the Interviewing Policy.
- Friday, October 20: Participating employers viewable in Symplicity at 12:00 p.m. (CT). You must have a resume uploaded in the Symplicity [Documents] tab to access. You may upload a revised resume before Friday, October 27 at 8:00 a.m. (CT).
- Monday, October 23: 1Ls may sign up for 2 mock interviews at 4:00 p.m.(CT).
- Tuesday, October 24: Initial signup for 2 mock interviews closes at 12:00 p.m. (CT). 1Ls may sign up for 1 more mock interview (total 3) starting at 4:00 p.m. (CT).
- Wednesday, October 25: Final signups for 3 total mock interviews closes at 12:00 p.m. (CT).
- You must first upload your resume to Symplicity under the [Documents] tab before scheduling a mock interview. Be sure it is your default resume. Plan to do this before the scheduling period opens for this event.
- Grades are not a consideration for a mock interview.
- You are signing up for a specific date and time with a specific employer. Make sure to avoid class conflicts.
- Watch this brief instructional video on how to sign up for a mock interview.
- Log in to Symplicity.
- Click [Interview Programs] and select [Mock Interview Program: Private Sector 2023] from the [Session] drop-down menu.
- To schedule a mock interview:
- Click on the [Employers/Applications] tab and select the date box (example: Nov. 7) under [Interview Dates] to view available interview slots. If no date box appears, then all interview slots have been taken for that employer.
- Select your desired date and time and click the [Signup] button to reserve your mock interview time slot. You must complete Step 4 below to finalize your mock interview schedule and complete the scheduling process.
- To finalize each mock interview:
- Return to the [Employers/Applications] tab and click the [Review] button for each employer you have signed up with.
- Symplicity requires that you add a bid rank number to your interview under [Bid Details] in the [Bids] field on the right side of the screen. Employers will not be shown your rankings and it does matter what order you rank your mock interviews.
- You must also enter or rank your preferred location(s). If the employer only has 1 participating location, enter that office.
- Once you have completed the steps above, click [Apply] to finalize your mock interview.
- To confirm you have successfully scheduled your mock interview(s):
- Return to the [Employers/Applications] tab.
- You should see “Scheduled for [date]” under the [Interview Dates] column and a bid number (1, 2, or 3) under the [Bidding] column.
- To cancel a mock interview during the scheduling period:
- Go to [Scheduled Interviews], click on the date above the employer interview you wish to cancel. Then, click [Cancel Interview] and then [OK].
- Return to the [Employers/Applications] tab and remove your bid rank number under the [Bidding] column by selecting [no bid].
- To cancel a mock interview after the scheduling period has closed, please submit your cancellation online.
- To cancel a mock interview during the scheduling period:
Student response to this program in the past has been overwhelming as they appreciate practicing for the “real thing.” As an employer, you will find that participating in our program is a wonderful way to meet our students and help prepare them for real interviews, as well as increase your recognition on campus.
There is no cost to participate in the program.
Students will submit their resumes and schedule their mock interview(s) online. Employers will then be able to review student resumes prior to their interview day. As interviewers will represent their actual employer, please be sure to update your employer’s Symplicity profile as students will be researching your organization.
Each mock interview is comprised of a 20-minute interview followed by a 10-minute review. In addition to providing feedback directly to each student, we ask that you take a moment to complete an online evaluation so we may gauge our students’ interview preparedness. Paper evaluations will be provided at check-in. If you prefer the online form, please bring your laptop. Evaluations will be returned to students after our office has reviewed them.
Space is limited to 15 employer schedules per day. Each office is limited to one schedule for this event. Interviews will be scheduled in Central Time.
- Registration opens Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 12:00 p.m. (CT).
- Registration closes Thursday, October 12, 2023 at 12:00 p.m. (CT).
- Schedules available on Friday, October 27, 2023.
- Log into Symplicity. Your username is your complete email address.
- Select [Interview Programs] and then [Schedule Request].
- Click [Request a Schedule].
- From the [Sessions] drop-down menu, select [Mock Interview Program: Public Sector 2023]
- Complete the form. If you would like to participate virtually, please indicate so in the [Scheduling Notes] field.
- Please be sure to add your interviewer name(s) in the [Interviewer Name] field.
- Click the [Submit] button.
- If participating in virtual interviews, please review the Flo Recruit Guide and be sure to test your connection.
- Watch Flo Recruit’s Virtual Training for Employers (58:31 minutes)